Greenmoor Wharf rubbish depot, Bankside. This Bankside wharf was the site of Southwark Corporation's rubbish depot when George Davison Reid took this photo. Refuse, transported by horse and cart, was loaded into barges using chutes and hydraulic cranes. Once laden, the barges would head downriver to the estuary. Horse manure would be separated out and used to fertilise agricultural land.
George Davison Reid
1920 AD - 1933 AD
Greenmoor Wharf rubbish depot, Bankside: 20th century