Multi-storey horse stables near Southwark Bridge with a view of St Paul's. This unusual view towards the City riverfront was taken from a multi-storey stable close to Southwark Bridge. Traditional London stables had a central courtyard, and horses were driven up ramps to the first floor. Horses were still integral to the running of the docks, despite the increasing prevalence of motor power elsewhere. Many stables existed close to the riverside. George Davison Reid photographed activity along the banks of the River Thames extensively during the late 1920s and early 1930s.
George Davison Reid
1920 AD - 1933 AD
Multi-storey horse stables near Southwark Bridge: 20th century