The Astorian. The Astoria cinema in Finsbury opened in August 1930. This souvenir programme issued to commemorate the opening gives details of its construction. The theatre is described as 'British To the Core; British Brains, British Money - and Trade Union Conditions'. Tonnes of British steel were used in its construction and the directors specified the employment of British workers according to strict trade union conditions.The central pages include three images showing inside the cinema, including the Spanish Garden and Rotunda Fountain Court. This venue was the fourth in a chain of 'luxurious' Astoria theatres to open in London in just over a year. The theatre has since become a listed building and is now a Pentecostal church.