The Tower of London seen from the river, with boats and barges in foreground. Watercolour. Originally the tower of London was a simple timber and earth enclosure in the south-east angle and formed by the joining of the original east and south stone walls of the old Roman town of Londinium Augusta. The original structure was completed by the addition of a ditch and palisade along the north and west sides. This enclosure then received a huge structure of stone which in time came to be called The Great Tower and eventually as it is known today The White Tower. This formed the basis of a residential palace and fortress ideally suited for a king or queen.
1880 AD - 1910 AD
The Tower of London seen from the river: late 19th- early 20th century